Yes, I have an obsession with chocolate covered strawberries. The first step to recovery is admitting it, right? When I saw a picture of these patriotic berries that Nicole of Baking Bites made, I knew I had to make a batch of my own. Nicole’s blog is one of the first food blogs I started reading religiously a few years ago. Not only does she have original ideas, but she also knows the ins and outs of baking.
In addition to the star-spangled shooters I posted yesterday, these are another quick treat that will definitely get a lot of attention. Unlike, those jello shooters, these are 100% kid-friendly. Go ahead, put them on the buffet table, and go drink wine with your girlfriends. These will disappear quickly!
- Be sure to clean your strawberries before dipping, and buy organic if you can afford to. Make sure your strawberries have dried completely so that the chocolate doesn’t seize up on you.
- Put chunks of white chocolate in a small bowl (white chocolate candy wafers are easy to work with). Melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until completely melted.
- Fill a second small bowl halfway with blue sanding sugar.
- Dip strawberry into chocolate, leaving about 1/3 of the strawberry uncovered.
- Before the chocolate sets, dip the bottom third of the strawberry into the sanding sugar.
- Place on waxed paper.
- You can pop them in the refrigerator if you’re serving them later in the day, but don’t make these more than a day in advance.