This cupcake is ridiculously decadent, and another Emmy Award worthy cupcake. The combination of chocolate, cherries, and buttercream is a sinful indulgence… one that I highly recommend. This was the third cupcake that I served at the cupcakes and cocktails tasting night. Hidden inside the center of this cupcake are cherry pieces that have been soaked in amaretto. Think black forest like cake, only much better. I’m not a huge fan of cherries soaked in kirsch. These cherries infused with amaretto are the perfect complement for the devil’s food cake.
I wouldn’t dare take credit for this one. This was all my mom’s creation. This is her entry for the Duncan Hines Emmy Award Cupcake Contest. You of course, are familiar with the contest, since you’ve been voting for me daily, right? An emmy worthy cupcake should be elegant, beautifully presented, and over the top delicious. This, without a doubt, is the best entry I’ve seen (the chocolate covered strawberry cupcake is a close second, just my opinion).
Don’t you love those little edible gold stars  sprinkled on top. They sparkle when they catch the light, and are a perfect garnish for these fancy treats. These are also available in silver, along with edible heart shaped glitter in Wilton’s line of cake decorations.
The piping is what really gives this cupcake a fancy look. It really isn’t difficult to do, even if you have never used a piping bag… I promise! To achieve this look, you will need a piping bag (I prefer the disposable ones), a coupler, and a star tip. These can all be purchased at Michael’s or another craft store and will only cost a few dollars.
We used a large star tip (#21) to pipe the star design because these were jumbo cupcakes. It’s hard to tell in the picture, but these were super-sized cupcake liners. They’re so big, they don’t even fit in a regular muffin pan. They bake right on a cookie sheet. This size isn’t the portion control option, but the perfect size to split with someone you love. If you bake up smaller cupcakes, I’d recommend using a smaller star tip (#16, #17, or #18). Click on the links below for Wilton’s excellent tutorials on piping.
Resources on Piping
If you normally spread icing on your cupcakes, don’t be afraid to branch out into the piping world. I promise, it is not as hard as it looks.
First, read through the step by step instructions on setting up your piping bag  (These disposable piping bags , may be a little more money in the long run, but they’re conveinent and making cleaning up easy).
Next, view this You tube tutorial  on piping with a star tip, and you’ll have all of the info. you need to get started.
But wait… before you start piping, click over and vote for this cupcake  and for my chocolate covered strawberry cupcake  for the Duncan Hines contest~ PLEASE… Yes, we have no problem begging. You can vote for both cupcakes daily! Send us to the Emmys!
Amaretto Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes
Printable Recipe 
2/3 cup Amaretto liquor
1 Duncan Hines Devil’s Food cake mix
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1. Combine pitted cherries and Amaretto in small container. Cover and refrigerate, at least one hour and preferably overnight.
2. After cherries have soaked in Amaretto, drain and save Amaretto juice. Set cherries aside. Add the 2/3 cup Amaretto/cherry juice to cake mix. Add 2/3 cup water, 3 eggs and oil and beat and bake according to box cupcake directions.
3. When cupcakes are completely cool remove a 1-inch X 1-inch center circle from cupcake. (Centers can be used later for “cake pops”)
1 stick butter, softened
½ cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon Amaretto liquor
Wilton edible golden stars (available at Michael’s)
1. Beat butter and sifted powder sugar. Gradually add half of cream. Continue to beat. Add vanilla and Amaretto; gradually add remaining cream.
2. Partially fill center of cupcake with butter cream icing,
3. Add 2 halves of drained cherries on top of butter cream.
4. Add additional butter cream on top of cherries and smooth top of cupcake with butter cream icing. With #17 Wilton star tip, pipe stars on top of cupcake starting around the outside and work toward center.
5. Sprinkle Wilton Golden Edible Stars on top.